Saturday, November 25, 2006

Cutting in Line

I have experienced an annoying phenomenom here in the Philippines...people cutting in line.

Now, this is not something totally foreign to me. I have had people cut in line in front of me several times in my life. However, this has happened to me many times since I have been here in the Philippines.

I will be in line at the store waiting to buy something, and someone will just walk in front of me and stand in line like they belong there. At first, I thought it was because I was a foreigner. Maybe they think the foreigner won't say anything, so they do it. Recently, I was in a public restroom, waiting for an open urinal, when two guys walked in front of me and went to urinal instead of waiting behind me.

After it happened to me for the 7th or 8th time, I asked Glyn about it. I asked her if it was usual for people to cut in line. She said that it was not uncommon. However, she thinks that it is still rude when people do it.

It really made me think about the way people drive around here too. Cars cut in front of each other with great frequency. There is no road rage or anything like that when it happens. People sort of expect it. I have never seen a taxi driver yell and scream or honk their horn in anger.

I have joked with Glyn about going to the front of a line that we are standing in to see what would happen. I am learning to stand a little closer to the person in front of me...and to take a deep breath when I get cut in front of again. Who knows? Maybe I will try it myself sometime...

1 comment:

Kev said...

it was crazy like that in the Dominican Republic. i told you man!!!

I would love to be a fly on the wall where you stand in line... I would know what was going through your mind. I would probably give myself away by my fly laugh though.