Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Eggcellent! Unrefrigerated eggs?

It is a sight that I just cannot get used to. Before I went back to the Philippines, Glyn told me that she bought eggs for her apartment. I did a double take and asked her if she really bought eggs, because I know she does not have a refrigerator (which they call a ref here BTW). She said it was no big deal to not have eggs in the the refrigerator.

Now, everything that I have ever been told about eggs says to put them in the refrigerator and keep them there. I mean, you would get sick if you didn't put eggs in the refrigerator, right?

Well, since I have been here the second time, I have seen it with my own eyes. I walk into the grocery store, and instead of the eggs being in the refrigerated section, they are sitting out on a shelf like bread! Are they crazy?? I even saw a truck carrying eggs that was not refrigerated.

I did a little bit of reading on this and it ends up that most of the world does not refrigerate their eggs. I actually have eaten these eggs and they taste just fine and I do not get sick.

Now, here at the condo I am staying in, the eggs are put in the refrigerator. It makes me feel a little bit better to do this, so I am not a complete convert.

Eggciting? Huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha Its the same exact way in Guatemala! I was soo freaked out when I first saw the unrefrigerated eggs sitting in the kitchen cupboard, but my host mom cooked them for me practically everyday and I didn't die! =)