Saturday, February 17, 2007

There's Snow Place Like Home

Well, I finally made it back. By a miracle, my flight left JFK on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

I didn't think it was possible that we would take off. Just a couple of hours before, the wind was blowing pretty hard and the snow was coming down in both DC and New York. The flight scheduled to DC before mine was canceled. The flight next to ours to San Juan was canceled. Another flight out of the same gate taxied out to the runway only to get stuck in ice and have to come back. I was just wishing they would cancel my flight before it got too late.

Well, at about 10:30, they told us to board the plane. When I got aboard, I could see I was one of those small planes. On one side, there was two seats next to each other. Across the aisle, there was only one. Not exactly the type of plane you want to be flying in during bad weather. In my mind, I started to sing La Bamba, Peggy Sue, and American Pie...only to humor myself. I actually felt pretty confident that they would not try to take off if they felt they couldn't.

So after the de-icing of the plane, we took off. The takeoff was a little rocky, with the airplane moving side to side as it flew. However, eventually it settled down. It is such a short flight to DC, only a little less than 1 hour in the air. From the time we landed to the time I got home, it was another hour. So by 2:00 am, I was finally home.

The next day I had an interview scheduled. I got up and cleared off my car which was covered in frozen snow. Then I tried to start it. No luck. I am not sure the last time it had been started (I had arranged for my car to be started occasionally while I was gone); however, I think the cold was affecting it more than anything. In addition to the fact that the car wouldn't start, was the fact that the back of the house and the driveway was an ice skating rink. The snow, which was a few inches deep, could be walked on, not in.

So reluctantly, I had to cancel my interview (I called and left a message seeing if I could reschedule), not seeing any logistical way I could get to Old Town Alexandria. I guess it was a blessing in disguise, because I was really tired and fell asleep after I canceled the interview.

Luckily, the job interview that I had scheduled on Wednesday that I had to cancel was rescheduled for Friday. Since that interview was off the Dupont Circle Metro, I did not have to worry about getting my car out. That interview went well, and now I have a followup interview scheduled for next week.

My car has still not moved. The temperatures today are supposed to get up above freezing, so there should be some melting. I hope to get the car out sometime this afternoon. It will be weird driving the car after all of this time. I have not driven in over 3 1/2 months...the longest stretch of not driving since I was in college (or perhaps, ever).

I have gone through a pile of mail since I have been back, but still have not fully unpacked. I guess there is a part of me that wants to be back in the Philippines and I am not quite ready to be fully back home. It is definitely a tough transition, on many levels, from the cold to missing Glyn. I know I will find a way back to the Philippines eventually.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well Son, at least you finally made it home! I was watching the NY weather when I knew you were scheduled to fly, very glad you finially got underway and ultimatly home!

Good luck on the interviews and get that car running!

Kev said...

I just realized that I can reduce my browser window to about 100 pixels and everything on your page still adjusts!