Saturday, January 05, 2008

Trip to Bohol for New Years 2008

We had a great time again this year visiting Bohol for New Years 2008.

We took the ferry over from Cebu to Bohol. It is about a 2-hour journey. We went with Camilo and his wife Lizel and their son Lourence. Here is Glyn and Lourence on the ferry ride over:



After we got to Bohol, we have to get some transportation to Inabanga, which is the town Glyn lives near. Our transportation of choice is called a tricycle. The Filipino version of a tricycle is a motorcycle with a side car attached. Here are some videos of our trip to Inabanga:







There was so much going on at Glyn's parents. It seems like it is the house in the neighborhood that everyone comes to visit. There was also so much going on in the neighborhood while everyone prepared for the New Year festivities. Ayan, Glyn's brother, was involved in a basketball tournament in Lawis, which is the town her parents live in. See some video of Ayan playing in the tournament:



We hung around Glyn's parent's house on December 30. Of course, one of the things that we did to keep us entertained is singing Karaoke. Here are a couple of clips of Coning, Glyn's brother, singing:





I was also playing with Glyn's nephew, Lourence (I swear...he was really dancing by himself...I was just holding him up):



On New Year's Eve, we slept a lot preparing to be up late. Filipinos celebrate Media Noche after midnight...This is a meal that is eaten at the beginning of the New Year. So, knowing we would be up until almost 3 am, we got plenty of rest.

A lot of the women helped prepare for the big meal. I watched the finals of the basketball tournament. Unfortunately, Ayan's team did not play in the finals, but Camilo, Glyn's oldest brother did referee.

That night, we went over to the disco they have in Lawis. A lot of people were there and were having lots of fun. See some clips of the disco:





Here are Camilo and Lizel dancing:



Here is May May dancing:



Here is Sadam dancing:



I even got on the dance floor:





At midnight, we went over the chapel and prayed. I really love how they do this in Lawis...giving thanks to God for the New Year.

After going to the chapel, we went back over to Glyn's parent's house for Media Noche. You can see that everyone was excited for the New Year:



The next day was spent recovering from the long day. I joined some of the neighborhood guys while they were drinking Tuba (Too-BA), which is wine made from coconut (buko). I have had some before on a previous visit and I had gotten a rash, so I just stuck to drinking beer.

While I was there, I saw an actual cock fight. There was no gambling or anything. Just some guys in the neighborhood brought their roosters by. Glyn's brothers told me that is more dangerous for the roosters in a official cock fight. See a clip of it:



I actually got burned sitting outside, even though I was not in the sun. They thought I was red from drinking. I guess most of them have never seen a person sunburned before.

Later that night, we had an engagement dinner for me and Glyn. Many of Glyn's family and other neighbors came over for dinner. I was overwhelmed at the number of people who were there. It was a lot of fun and the food was great. I am lucky to be part of a great family in the Philippines.

The next day we headed back to Cebu. It rained most of the night and during the day when we were traveling. I had never seen it rain so much before.

It was a great time again being in Bohol. I look forward to my next visit back.

Don't forget to see all of the pictures too.

No comments: