Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happy New Year...What Happened to the Internet?

Back from Bohol...It was a great experience being there. I took so many pictures that I would like to share. However, I cannot upload the pictures right now. A couple days after Christmas, there was an earthquake in Taiwan. Luckily, only a couple of people died. Yet, what happened that had a greater impact is that telecommunication and Internet cables were damaged in the quake.

For a little while, a lot of Asia was not able to connect to the Internet...especially those in China. Since then, there has been some work to re-route the Internet traffic. However, what has been exposed is that there really is not adequate Internet backup in the Pacific region. Some web sites that I try to access from the Philippines go slower than dial-up. It is funny to see how vastly different some web sites respond now.

Going to google.com (and its sister site blogger.com) is just like normal. However, accessing my e-mail from Yahoo or trying to upload pictures to shutterfly.com is an exercise in patience. Doing some things on the Internet take me hours (I kid you not) instead of minutes now.

It really makes me realize how delicate the Internet really is. I will keep blogging here and I will try to find a way to upload pictures soon.

No comments: