Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What a Pain!

I should have knocked on wood a little harder. After nearly 7 years without a problem, it was bound to happen again.

On Monday when I woke up, I felt that familiar pain. From the right side of my back down to my groin...I thought to myself that this couldn't be another kidney stone! For the first two hours of the day, I was hoping the pain would just go away. I eventually told Glyn that I was worried it could be a kidney stone, and if it was, the pain would just get worse and I would eventually have to go to the hospital to manage the pain.

Glyn told me that a friend of hers and her husband (who is from Australia) were on their way over to the condo. I had mixed feelings about it. Of course I wanted to meet her friend and her husband, but I was worried that the pain would get very bad while they were here.

It was good meeting them, but my fears came to fruition. While I was listening to her friend's husband, the pain got really bad. I tried my best to be a good sport and host to our guest. However, I finally pulled Glyn aside and told her that the pain was getting intolerable. So her friends left, and we grabbed a taxi to Cebu Doctors Hospital, which is close by.

Glyn is not experienced as far as hospitals are concerned. In fact, she has never been admitted to one in her life. (Not even at childbirth....she and her siblings were all born at home.) After asking some questions from people around the hospital, she lead me to a doctor's office. There were several people waiting to see the doctor, but my crying and rocking while waiting got me in to see the doctor next. I thought it was weird that we went to the doctor's office instead of the emergency room, but I figured maybe that is how things are done here.

When I got in to see the doctor, I told her that I was certain it was a kidney stone because I had several before. She told me that I should be in the emergency room. So, they got me a wheelchair and moved me to the emergency room. Even though this was not the proper procedure, it might have been the quickest in getting medical attention at the emergency room since the doctor came to the emergency room with me. She told me that they would have waited for her to do anything anyway.

They hooked me up to an IV and told me that they were going to give me an injectable pain reliever. "Yes!", I thought, "The pain will stop soon." However, unlike times in the past when I have gotten injectable pain relief, it didn't work! They were reluctant to give me more medicine until they got my lab results back, so I laid there in immense pain. Whenever I have a stone that is causing me pain, I reflect on what I have heard so many times about the pain of a kidney stone being comparable to the pain of childbirth. I always conclude that the pain of childbirth, even if it is the same pain, has to be better. At the end of childbirth, you end up with a living, breathing human being.

(A few years ago, I was in the hospital with kidney stones, and the nurse sympathized with me, telling me that she too had had kidney stones. Seizing a potential opportunity, I asked her if she has children. I told her that I had always heard the two pains being compared and I wanted to know from someone else--since I would never know personally--whether it was true that the pains were the same. She told me that there was no comparison....the pain of kidney stones was much worse. Three month after having one of her children, she had a kidney stone. She said nothing compares to being down on the floor and throwing up because of the pain.)

Eventually, they gave me another shot and the pain was less, but still not gone. They then moved me into a room at the hospital. In my pain, I had chosen to go to a private room, not really thinking about it. However, compared to home, the price of private room is very cheap (about $35), and I guess worth it.

In some ways, I was glad to get the opportunity to be in a hospital here in the Philippines. I got the opportunity to compare my experiences in the United States to the Philippines. Now, from what I understand, I stayed at one of the best hospitals in Cebu, so it might not be the same at other places here.

Here are some of my observations;

  • Food. When food is brought in, they just put the tray inside the room next to the door. At home, I have always experienced them bringing the food right to your bed. Also, I thought it was funny that on the food card, next to Diet Specifications, they had "Foreigner." I took this to mean that they gave me potatoes instead of rice. Don't they realize that all foreigner eat cheeseburgers! :)
  • Medicine. They actually gave me the option of purchasing the medicines directly from the pharmacy instead of them providing them for me. That included all pain relievers. The difference is that they would charge me 30% more if they provided it themselves. Thank God that Glyn was with me! She went down to the pharmacy each time more medicine was needed.
  • Gowns. At home, they always give you one of those goofy gowns to wear in the hospital. Not only does this make it easier for the doctor to make inspections, it makes it less likely someone will just bolt out the hospital. :) At Cebu Doctors Hospital, I was given no gown. I just wore my own clothes the whole time.
  • Payment. I actually had to give a deposit before I was admitted, and I had to pay in full when I left. I know at home, I could get treatment even if I had no money or insurance.
  • Nurses. There were lots of nurses on staff. The hospital has a corresponding university, so they had nurses there who were students. The nurses were both men and women. In fact, from what I read, a lot of men take the nursing route instead of becoming a doctor, because the United States actively recruits nurses from abroad.
  • Visiting. There were no visiting hours. In fact, Glyn slept on the couch in the room both nights I was in the hospital.
  • Cell phones. They are taboo in the United States with signs everywhere telling you that you can't have them on. Here, it was no big deal to carry them around. Even the doctors had them and were using them in the room.
OK, back to the kidney stone. The pain eventually went away. I was given medicine to help the stone move. However, at this writing, I still have not passed the stone. They did an ultrasound and saw that I have one stone in my right kidney and one stone in my left kidney, and one stone in my right ureter. It is the stone in my ureter that was causing me all the pain. Fortunately the stone is on the smaller side and should pass through on its own. I know from experience that the stones that are in my kidneys might remain there indefinitely and might pass through eventually with little fanfare. But then again, they might have a big parade.

I was scheduled to leave the Philippines this Friday, but I am going to try to extend my stay for a few more days. I would hate to board the plane knowing that I could have a recurrence. I would be the passenger from hell if that were to happen. Plus, I really don't mind staying here a few more days. :)

By the way, when I was laying in the hospital in my drug induced state, I kept on thinking on what I should title my post. Bear with me as I give you what could have been (I am still under the influence):

  • Pebbles and Bam-Bam
  • Oops, I Did It Again
  • Rocky III
  • I'm So Stoned
  • Not Kidney Around
  • As the Stones Through My Kidneys, So Are the Days of Our Lives

3 comments:

Kev said...

let me show you mom's email, my response and then mike's response:

From Mom:
I just got a call from Tim--he is in the hospital in Cebu. He had a kidney stone attack. He doesn't know how long he will have to stay for he has three stones that the doctors found. He was scheduled to come home on Friday so he does not know what he will do as of now.

From me:
Thanks for the info. I will continue to pray for him.

BTW... Did someone throw the kidney stones at him? ;-)

From Mike:
Let him who is without kidneys, throw the first stones.

Only in the Watson family....

Anonymous said...

I vote for Pebbles and Bam-Bam!! Glad you're feeling a little better. You're a true sport. Even though I wasn't there when you were crying and rocking back and forth. Maybe that's why they labeled your ID card "foreigner". :) And way-to-go Glyn!! for being a wonderful nurse and pharmacist. Safe and blessed travels. I know you're going to miss Glyn and your new "second home".

Unknown said...

See what happens when I go traveling? Heck Tim, I woulda stayed home - but - well - we had a blast anyways- We didn't hit the Colorado Bell but did have a really great time. Look at the good side Son, you got to stay a few days longer!